Sunday, February 14, 2021

Rival Magic by Deva Fagan

My name is Antonia, and I don't know how I'll become a Grand Wizard with Moppe around. She's supposed to be working for the cook, but Master Betrys has made her another apprentice like me. Ok, she seems to have more magical power than me, but I've read all the grimoires and know the spells and magewords. My mother showed up after six months and said she'd only let me stay here if I spy on Master Betrys. Mother thinks Master Betrys knows the location of the crown of Medasia that will allow its holder to control the Black Drake. The Liberationists will use that control over the giant sea monster to start a rebellion. With Master Betrys now in prison, I can't believe it's up to Moppe and me to locate the crown and bring peace to the entire island.


This book was the winner of the 2020 Cybils Award in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. The core of the story centered on the rivalry/friendship between Antonia and Moppe. Antonia worked tirelessly to perfect magic, but she was envious and jealous of Moppe's natural power. However, Moppe had secrets and couldn't master her powers without Antonia's help. Both girls had demanding, controlling mothers who applied internal conflicts within their daughters. The mothers also happened to be leaders of opposing political groups. Ancient history and politics created external conflicts that placed the whole island on the brink of war. The plot found Antonia and Moppe traveling across the island while facing their greatest fears and untold dangers. They each held great potential that could only be unlocked together, and they didn't understand how to use a secret word in magespeak. This created aniticipation for the moment it would all click together. It took the girls awhile to figure out how to work as a team, as their friendship shakily grew. The author included several twists along the way that complicated matters and changed the focus of the plot. Overall, this was a wonderful book of magic and friendship, and I highly recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.