Sunday, February 14, 2021

Eva Evergreen #1: Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe

My name is Rin, and I met Eva on a boat headed to Auteri. It was the first day of her quest to become a Novice Witch, and I could identify with her feelings of being different and lost. I'd never heard of a witch fainting after casting a spell, but that was Eva. I agreed to be her guardian, since she needed approval from the mayor, my mother. My mother expects Eva to find some way to protect us from the Culling even though the most powerful witches and wizards can't do it. I have faith that Eva will do her best, and I'll do my best to support her. She has a wonderful heart that will spread kindness among the citizens. At least most of them. She must learn to ignore the haters and focus on becoming the best witch she can be. We need someone with her abilities, and I know she need us too. 


This book was a finalist for the 2020 Cybils Award in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. It was a cute story with an endearing, underdog main character. Eva lacked confidence, her mother was a Grand Master, and she described herself as a semi-magical witch. She couldn't see that she was helping the town, but readers will identify her positive effects. However, Eva finally realized it was okay to do things her own way, and I liked the creativity she displayed in her spell-casting. What witch would ever use pet hair or seaweed in a spell? She was joined by two other characters with their own issues, but they became loyal supporters. Eva's pet also became an unpredictable, impulsive character. The mayor was a mini-antagonist, since the success of Eva's quest depended on finding a way to protect the seaside town from the Culling. Other powerful wizards couldn't find a way to stop it, and it was predictable that the storm would arrive early. The source of the Culling was unknown, although I had a strong suspicion. This resulted in a plot with layers of conflicts that created different types of tension, and Eva's likability made her easy to root for. Overall, I loved this story of a misfit witch, and I recommend you give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.