Friday, February 19, 2021

Spartan Warrior #1: The Fire of Ares by Michael Ford

My name is Lysander and being a slave to the Spartans makes it difficult getting medicine and food to keep my mother alive. I don't know anything about my father, but my mother has told me to always protect the pendant hanging around my neck. The Fire of Ares has belonged to our family for generations, and I can feel its power surge when I need strength. However, I was in the market earlier today when someone held a knife to my throat and stole the pendant from me. I can't let my mother know, but what can I do now? Then, a former Helot slave came to our home, and my world was flipped upside down. He told me that I'm the grandson of Ephor Sarpedon, a leader of the Spartan people. Even though I'm a half-breed, he wants me to train as a Spartan warrior. I've decided this will be the best way to take care of my mother, and I intend to make my grandfather proud.


This book told the underdog story of a Helot slave trying to uphold the memory of his deceased Spartan father. While Lysander knew nothing beyond the stories he heard, the Spartan people remembered his father as a courageous hero. The plot was based on prejudice and slavery, and it effectively described the atrocities suffered by the Helots. The irony of it all was that there ten times more Helots than Spartans. The Spartans knew they needed to instill fear and hopelessness in the Helots in order to keep them from rebelling. The plot followed Lysander, as he tried to survive the warrior training. Being half slave and half son of a Spartan hero created an interesting twist, as other characters weren't sure how to treat him. His courage, strength, and perseverance slowly earned him a couple friends, but he still faced constant prejudice and physical attacks due to his Helot upbringing. This created constant tension for the character and reader. Underlying everything was Lysander's search for the lost pendant, the Fire of Ares. While he thought it gave him power, and his mother said it did, it still wasn't clear if this actually happened. I could chalk it up to increased adrenaline due to his belief in the pendant's power. I guess we'll see in the sequels. Overall, this book was an entertaining story of an ancient culture, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.