Friday, February 19, 2021

Explorer Academy #5: The Tiger's Nest by Trudi Trueit

My name is Lani, and the Explorers traveled to another section of Africa to help endangered wildlife. Our team was hoping to work with the sea turtles, so Emmett could test out his new invention. However, no one but me was excited to work with plants on the side of a mountain. Sure, cutting down trees and pulling out shrubs was hard work, but then we got to replace them with new trees to help the habitat and birds recover. Actually, we were lucky to survive when our teacher fell down the mountain, and we were forced to battle a violent tropical storm. Now back on the Orion, we've figured out the next clue in finding the formula hidden by Cruz's mom. Nebula is still trying to stop us, and they've already tried killing Cruz and kidnapping his father. Another Explorer is secretly telling Nebula our plans in the search, but I think I've figured out a way to discover his, or her, identity. 


The continuing thread through all of the books is Cruz's quest to find all of the pieces to his deceased mother's formula that could change modern medicine forever. However, a ruthless chemical company called Nebula is doing all it can to stop him. Cruz has a close-knit group of friends, but the author keeps stringing along the mystery of a spy among the explorers. Consequently, I find myself suspecting everyone, including Cruz's friends. I anticipate it will be a startling reveal, but I hate that I can't trust any of the characters. Every book in the series finds the explorers traveling somewhere in the world to help protect the environment. It's a good way to learn about plants and animals, and it reveals the different ways mankind is harming them. The series introduces all kinds of impossible inventions that make this book science fiction. The most entertaining invention/character is Mell, a bee-like drone invented by Cruz. It accompanies Cruz everywhere and follows his orders, and it communicates with blinking lights in its eyes. Cruz treats it like a friend which helps generate feelings for the mechanical drone. Overall, I'm enjoying the series, although I feel like it's getting into a predictable pattern. The author is keeping my interest, so far, but I'm expecting a significant change. Cruz has found 3/4 of the puzzle, so the series needs to end soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.