Saturday, February 27, 2021

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

My name is Elisabeth, and I always wanted to become a warden for the Great Libraries. I was left on the doorstep as a baby, and I didn't know much beyond the magical grimoires kept within the walls. Then, my world was turned upside down when a deadly grimoire escaped, and I was accused of murdering the Director. I was sent to the Magisterium for questioning, but the sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn and his demon Silas made me wonder about everything I thought I knew. Maybe sorcerers and magic weren't the terrible things I'd been told. Little did I know that a terrible plot was in motion, and it would most likely destroy everything on earth. I'm not sure why magic doesn't affect me, but I have a feeling it will help me in the days ahead. But will it help me with Nathaniel Thorn?


This book is for mature middle grade readers. There's nothing terribly inappropriate, although there is one scene of passionate kissing. The narration isn't directed toward younger readers, and the relationship of magic, demons and sorcerers is unusual. Elisabeth is the main character, and she's thrust into the middle of an age-old conflict that isn't clear until later in the story. She has a resistance to magic which makes her relationship with Nathaniel all the more intriguing. She also has a strange connection to the grimoires. The Great Libraries exist to protect society from the power of the books, but Elisabeth doesn't view them as threats. Silas is my favorite character due to his nature as a demon. Sorcerer's get their magic by bargaining with demons, but Silas seems to have a fondness for Nathaniel. However, he's quick to remind Elisabeth that he's not a nice demon, and that he'd be very dangerous if freed from his bond. His character is a paradox between good and evil. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, as it introduced an unusual world of magic. I don't read many romantic books, but the budding affair between Elisabeth and Nathaniel was secondary to the big conflict. I recommend you give this book a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.