Saturday, February 13, 2021

Maximillian Fly by Angie Sage

You can call me Max, although most of you Wingless ones call me Roach. I usually keep a quiet, peaceful life, but I decided to help two young SilverSeeds being chased by Enforcers. I'm not sure why I did it, but it's too late to change things now. Maybe it's because I dislike the Guardian up in the Bartizan, or the rumors of SilverSeeds being killed. Regardless, I feel responsible for the children called Katie and Jonno now, and I won't let harm come to them. Jonno is too hurt to move right now, but Katie seems to be hiding something. I have one of the Vermin chasing them locked in my basement, but maybe I should kill him now. I can't understand why the Enforcers are so determined to recapture these little kids? 


This is a strange book like some of the others written by this author. Max has some human features but with extra legs, wings, and a hard shell like roaches. The narration is uncommon, as Max and a Roach friend of his speak directly to the readers. This creates some amusing side comments, as the Roaches blame us readers for getting them into the whole situation. Oppression and fear are big parts of the plot and conflict. The citizens of Hope are trapped inside an Orb that supposedly shields them from the deadly Contagion outside. They fear the Enforcers, as they search for children around the city. Night Roaches are especially fearsome, as they capture anyone they find after dark. Max is sometimes mistaken for a Night Roach, and he's learned to use this to his advantage. The most engaging aspect of the story is the strange family dynamic that slowly emerges. Feelings of prejudice are transformed to combine unexpected brothers, sisters, and parents. Again, the story is a bit odd, but it's very entertaining. Characters tell the story from different points of view, which makes them relatable to readers. I recommend you give this book a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.