Thursday, February 4, 2021

Explorer Academy #4: The Star Dunes by Trudi Trueit

My name is Emmett, and I wish I could tell Cruz all of the secrets I'm keeping. I imagine he's already suspicious, since my glasses show him my changing moods. I know he's really worried about Bryndis, and he blames himself for what happened to her. On the bright side, Cruz's best friend Lani has joined our team, and she's been valuable in solving the past clues to locate his mother's formula. It might be able to cure all diseases in the world, but Nebula Pharmaceuticals will do anything to stop us. They've already tried to kill Cruz a couple of times and kidnapped his father! The next clue has brought us to Africa, and the Explorers have already saved a family of gorillas from a deadly human disease. Now, we just need to find the next piece of the formula, but I hope Cruz doesn't do something crazy first. Again.


You should read the series from the beginning to fully understand Cruz's backstory. I like that the author made Lani an Explorer, since she is Cruz's best friend and has been with the series all along. I must admit that I miss her solo missions and the various gizmos she invents. I've been impressed with how the author has managed to save significant twists to the characters and plot to keep things interesting. Some series get stale after a few books. There have been hints that something is different about Cruz, since Nebula wanted him stopped before he turned thirteen. This book provides more evidence regarding that difference, although it should have been foreseeable from previous books. One boy on their team has been difficult to get along with, and this book addresses that conflict. A lesson can be learned from how the team handles the situation. The series continues to introduce impossibly creative inventions that should appeal to lovers of science. An interest in conservation is recommended, since the Explorers primary purpose is to travel the world and protect the environment. Overall, I'm liking the series very much and plan to read book five in the series, The Tiger's Nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.