Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Wereworld #5: Storm of Sharks by Curtis Jobling

Storm of Sharks (Wereworld, #5)My name is Hector, and I've heard rumors that my friend Drew is still alive. It seems he's ventured out to sea where the pirates and Baron Bosa are wreaking havoc upon the Bastian navy. Too bad I was forced to kill the Wereshark Vega, but I couldn't trust Drew's buddy. I left the Council when Drew first disappeared, and I've done many things I'm not proud of. He may be destined to become the new king, but he'll need to accept me as I am, or become my enemy. It's taking more effort to stifle my brother's spirit, and I sometimes fear I'll lose control to my necromancy. I don't trust Onyx, the Werepanther, or King Lucas, the Werelion, and I sense there's trouble brewing between them. I'm sure they'll try to invade my Icegarden, and I'm expecting treachery from my "allies" the Crows. However, they should all fear my ability to summon an army of dead.

This book has a couple of elements I don't enjoy, but the story is compelling enough to keep me coming back to finish the series. This book finally evokes hope in the efforts to place Drew on the Lyssian throne. It still has more violence and killing than I usually tolerate, it's told from many points of view, and there are a variety of settings and many characters. Characters are starting to break alliances, and Hector's character is becoming especially complex. I understand why the author has done these things, but it's still a bit much. However, I've followed Drew's story since the beginning, and I'm curious to see how everything turns out in the series' conclusion, War of the Werelords. Drew's endearing quality is a compassion for his friends and his followers. He finds it very difficult to ignore injustice, even when it jeopardizes his missions. He's a formidable warrior when he takes on his wolf form, but he's not indestructible. This keeps him from becoming a literary superhero and allows his character to be more "human". He has flaws and weaknesses just like anyone else. While many characters, not all, can transform into animals, they usually remain in human form when not fighting. These creatures range from bears, to cranes, to a squid, to a crab. Overall, you should enjoy the plot if you can tolerate war and the abominations that come with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.