Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Blackwell Pages #2: Odin's Ravens by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr

Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)My name is Fen, and I continue to defy my fate as a descendant of Loki. Matt, Laurie, and I traveled to Hel in order to rescue Baldwin from his premature death. I never would've thought I could work alongside a descendant of Thor, but Matt Thorson is the one who must lead us in stopping Ragnorak, the end of the world. We must locate Mjolnir, so Matt can use the hammer to battle and slay the Midgard Serpent. We've battled wolves, undead, and giants, and Astrid has reappeared. We'll never forgive her for killing Baldwin. I know Laurie thinks I'm overprotective, but I swore to defend her, even before I fully understood her true importance in the quest. It seems like someone is controlling the creatures we've faced, but I'm not sure Matt is ready to discover their identity. 

You should read Loki's Wolves first to fully understand how things started, as this book picks up where the first one left off. The series has been told through the eyes of the three main characters, but the changes in viewpoint have been seamless. The main characters are usually together, so the setting doesn’t change as the viewpoints vary. The group dynamics are worth watching, as Matt, Laurie, and Fen learn to work together. Fen is especially quick-tempered, so his character is a wild card. He's usually supportive of the group's efforts, but his personality makes him hard to get along with. His motivations are clouded by his vow to protect his cousin. The plot includes a good amount of action, as the characters travel through Hel and close in on Thor's hammer. Matt steps up to fully embrace his heritage. He's an impressive warrior, but he may be too nice to succeed. He's averse to "unnecessarily" killing even though foes left alive can return to create more havoc. This book dabbles more in godly powers than the first one, and it's clearly building to a climax with the Midgard Serpent to conclude the trilogy. I'm enjoying the story so far and have already started reading Thor's Serpents. Give the series a shot if you're into mythology, especially Norse Vikings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.