Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Potion Masters #2: The Transparency Tonic by Frank L. Cole

The Transparency Tonic (Potion Masters, #2)My name is Adilene, and I really hope to become a Dram like my friend Drew. My new friend Cadence may be able to help, although she hasn't made potions herself. I really don't know that much about her and don't know where she came from. Drew's mother has been fired from B.R.E.W., and he's been banned from her basement lab. Drew has Blind Batched some dangerous potions but doesn't remember doing it, and his grandfather Mezzarix is missing from the Forbidden Zone. What's going on?! Actually, I don't know much at all, since Drew really upset me. I don't think he realizes how much becoming a Dram means to me. I haven't spoken to him in a week, and Cadence has been helping me instead. My gut tells me this is wrong, but she's convinced me to try Silt. It'll be fun to become invisible for awhile, but I'm really uncomfortable sneaking into Drew's lab. Something's not right.

I'm don't think you need to read The Eternity Elixir first to enjoy this one, but it won't hurt. This book had a lot more going on than the first one, as Cadence was the mystery character throughout. She appeared out of nowhere, was overly eager to help Adilene, and had a special interest in Gordy and his family. Her true identity and intentions were unknown until the plot neared its end. B.R.E.W. had a new leader with questionable methods, the Vessel was under attack, and a team of evil characters was forming around Mezzarix. Then Gordy had his own issues with B.R.E.W., as its new leader feared he had unusual and dangerous abilities. As a result of all these things, this book was very engaging and entertaining. It had mystery, adventure, and action, as the plot branched out into new conflicts. The potions were still the center of everything. Actually, the potions have reminded me of the magic found in The Unwanteds series. The potions and magic transform everyday objects into tools or weapons. Gordy's ability to sense ingredients was already uncommon, but his ability to create potions without recipes was extremely rare and unpredictable. Overall, I recommend you give this series a shot, although the next book hasn't been released yet. Bummer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.