Saturday, March 9, 2019

Potion Masters #1: The Eternity Elixir by Frank L. Cole

The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)My name is Gordy, and with my mother's help, I hope to become an Elixirist. She works for B.R.E.W., although I'm not exactly sure what she does. She lets me mix some potions in our basement, but I hope she doesn't find the secret ones I've created. She mysteriously left home again, and then my aunt sent a package to our house. I probably shouldn't have opened it, but I did. There were a couple of glass vials in it, and I now know one of them is an Eternity Elixir. I don't know what it does, but a woman named Esmeralda tried to force her way into our house. Luckily, my mom's wards guard against intruders, but something tells me Esmeralda is a resourceful person. What's so special about this potion, and why do I think it's terribly dangerous?

This book offered a new twist on a budding "superhero". Gordy didn't have unbelievable powers; his strength focused on special abilities to sense and blend ingredients. It wasn't a far stretch to predict his quirky concoctions would become important weapons. His grandfather became an interesting subplot. The man was powerful and cruel, and Gordy had no idea his mom and aunt had a huge conflict with their father. I assume this will create a problem in the sequel. The highlight of the book was the author's imagination with the potions. Some of them required common items, while more exotic ingredients were also used. Some of the potions were comparable to unusual inventions found in other books. Potions were used to capture enemies, cause explosions, control minds, and put characters to sleep. Max was Gordy's best friend and provided comic relief. He had no special talents other than an insatiable curiosity. He was determined to get a glimpse of the rotting mummy kept in Gordy's basement, even though Gordy warned him of its noxiousness. He offered brash and humorous comments despite the dangers he might have been facing. Overall, this was a fun book, and I suspect its sequel, The Transparency Tonic, will be added to my to-read list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.