Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Black and Blue Magic by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Black and Blue MagicMy name is Harry Houdini Marco, and when my dad was alive, he always hoped I'd become a great magician. I've been told that someday I'll have a special kind of magic. That's pretty funny considering how clumsy and nonathletic I am, but I wish there was something magical I could do to help my mom find a new husband. I was ready for another boring summer when Mr. Mazeeck took a room at our boarding house. He said he was a traveling salesman, and he never let his suitcase out of his sight. On the day he left, he shared the truth about his past and surprised me with a gift. Many strange things happened that summer, and I wondered if they could somehow help with the Plan. 

This book shares a feel-good story about love, hope, and opportunities. Harry lacks confidence and doesn’t have any close friends. His main quest for the summer is to help his mom find love and a new husband. The boarding house setting in a small neighborhood allows the author to introduce some unique, eccentric characters. Mr. Mazeeck is the strangest and most important, but his appearance in the plot is short-lived. Harry needs to keep his gift a secret and spends much of his time exploring the San Francisco area. However, situations arise that challenge him to make tough decisions, and those choices have unexpectedly positive consequences. In the end, Harry’s mom shares a surprising truth that bodes well for the future. Overall, this book is entertaining despite its lack of suspense. Its message will make you feel better and leave you with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.