Thursday, March 7, 2019

Lock and Key #1: The Initiation by Ridley Pearson

The initiation
My name is Moria, and I've written this book about my troubled brother, James Moriarty. Our father has sent us to Baskerville Academy where we're fourth-generation legacies, descendants of the school's founder. Our family Bible is critically important to the school, and it's been stolen from its display. James has received clues regarding it, but he's become frustrated by the cryptic messages. However, his roommate Sherlock Holmes seems to have all the answers and has enlisted my help. Lock's superior air annoys my brother, but he thinks it's imperative that James pass this test. Before coming here, my father seemed worried and gave me directions in case he disappeared. Now, I'm wondering if James is in the same danger. I know it has something to do with the Moriarty family Bible, but who's behind it all?

I must admit I started this book awhile back and didn't finish it, but the synopsis still interested me. It will probably most appeal to mature middle grade readers. The book doesn't really fit the supernatural theme of my blog, but it has that kind of feeling. The Bible has a mystical power that is the center of generational rituals. Sherlock's logical and analytical manner of speaking may turn off many readers, just as it irked the characters in the book. The story is told as a young version of a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel with Moria's voice being the narrator. The setting is in modern-day America, whereas the original stories took place in old England. Young readers will probably miss the many references to the classic series. Make no mistake, this book will make you think; it's a mystery. Sherlock is unable to ignore clues, so he's constantly analyzing situations and evidence. You'll do the same and find yourself challenged to figure out what's going on before he reveals the truth. As you can tell, this book will not be enjoyed by all, but most lovers of mysteries will like it. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel, but the secrets revealed during the resolution have intrigued me. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.