Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Haunting by Joan Lowery Nixon

I can't believe my parents are actually planning to move into the old Graymoss house that my great-grandmother left to our family. On her death bed, she told me to read her diary that described the evil found inside the house. No one has spent more than a night in the house since the Civil War, because they're terrified away by the evil presence. I admit that I'm curious to spend a night in an actual haunted house, but my parents are planning to adopt a dozen unadoptable kids. My mom is a psychologist and thinks the ghost stories are from active imaginations, so she's not worried at all. However, I still don't see how it's possible for so many people to have very similar terrifying experiences over the decades, even the courageous women in my family's history. I'm nothing like them, but it seems like it's up to me to end the haunting. 

This book was a classic ghost story without any complications. Lia recognized the danger and seemed to be the only one capable of removing the evil presence. The key was trying to figure out what it wanted before it would leave. Lia was a stark contrast from her ancestors, as her grandmother liked to remind her. She loved to read, which her mother assumed created an overactive imagination. The whole plot built up the suspense toward a final confrontation with an evil spirit, but the climax was anticlimactic. I won't say what happened, but it wasn't satisfying. Overall, this book is a nice ghost story for readers not wanting any gore and little intensity. I typically like Nixon's books, and this one was okay. Not great, okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.