Monday, April 12, 2021

Legend #1 by Marie Lu

No one knows what Dane looks like, but I'll track him down. And then I'll see him die. I can still see his knife sticking out of my brother's chest. Dane's a terrorist, but he's never killed anyone before. So why did he kill my brother? I know Dane must be injured after leaping from a hospital to steal plague suppressant, but he couldn't have needed the medicine for himself. Who is it for? I don't think Dane works for the Colonies, he's surely not a Patriot, but he still finds himself at the top of the Republic's most-wanted list. That will end when I find him. I, June, am the only one who's ever gotten a perfect score on the Trial, and I've completed my training years before anyone else. I will succeed where other soldiers have failed, and I'll avenge my brother's death. It's just a matter of time.

I saw this book in the past and decided to finally give it a shot. It had a futuristic setting in the former United States, and a quarter from 1990 was an ancient relic. Everything was fairly believable, so you won't find anything too wackadoodle. The Republic was now in charge and was at war with the Colonies. It was a corrupt system of government that manipulated "truth" and propaganda to maintain its power. As you might expect, the Republic stifled the freedom of citizens, and Dane found ways to disrupt its plans. The story was told from alternating points of view, as June tried to track down Dane. It was effective technique to understand the motivations and feelings of Dane and June. Dane's terrorist activities took a backseat, as he was focused on finding medicine for his younger brother. June was determined to capture Dane, as her anger and sadness took over her emotions. The plot became a game of cat and mouse between the two main characters. Clearly, the author was going to create complications once June realized the Republic's deceit. The plague was at the center of everything, as it had been going on for years. The book pits man versus society in an exciting story of individuals trying to do what's right. I recommend you give it a shot, and I've already reserved a copy of the sequel, Prodigy, at my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.