Sunday, April 4, 2021

Thieves of Weirdwood: A William Shivering Tale by Christian McKay Heidicker and William Shivering

My name is Graham, and I think I've prepared my brother Wally for his difficult days ahead in the Mirror world. He may not believe what I told him, since I'm currently living in a mental hospital, but he's managed to find his way to Weirdwood Manor. The Manor's staff is committed to keeping Fae creatures from invading the real world and closing any Rifts between the two worlds. I met Wally's friend named Arthur, and I gave him a Golden Scarab to deliver to the Manor. It might have been nice to tell him what it would do, but I didn't want to. Wally has a very important role to play in the battle between Kingsport and Mirror Kingsport, and there's not much he can do about it. His fate has been determined. 


This book presents an innovative world of speculative fiction. Weirdwood Manor hides within the walls of abandoned buildings, and the staff is tasked with rounding up escaped, imaginary creatures. The plot contains mystery, adventure, and humor. Someone has found a way to travel between worlds without Rifts, which shouldn't be possible. The actual antagonists are unclear, and the author finds a way to constantly change our focus. Who's pulling the strings? The story is full of battles with monsters and other creepy things that originate from the imaginations of the Kingsport citizens. This book literally has ideas and stories come to life and gives authors immense power. Wally is the main character, while Arthur tries to become his favorite book character, a Gentleman Thief. Arthur has all kinds of wacky plans and has a talent to persuade others. I didn't originally see Graham as a significant character, but rest assured he plays an important role in the story. The plot offers many surprises with a full range of emotions. The cast of strangers go back and forth with trust, and there is one significant death. Actually, two deaths, but one of them occurred before the book begins. Overall, I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.