Saturday, April 24, 2021

Legend #2: Prodigy by Marie Lu

June and I had nowhere safe to go after escaping the Republic, so we headed to Vegas in search of the Patriots. My knee was really torn up and needed surgery, and the Patriot doctor replaced it with mechanical parts. However, the Patriots wouldn't help without getting a commitment from June and me, so we agreed to assassinate the new Elector Primo. The plan involved June getting captured by the Republic and hopefully not getting killed in the process. My new role was becoming a Patriot Runner, and I was to be the one who actually fired the shot to kill the Elector. However, things changed. I'm now not sure if June is fully committed to the plan, and I'm wondering if the Elector has gotten into her head. My main goal is getting my little brother back, so am I fully committed? The day of the assassination is quickly approaching, so we'll soon find out. 


You need to read Legend first. The story is told from the alternating points of view of the two main characters, June and Day. June is the former Republic wondergirl who helped the Republic's most wanted terrorist, Day, escape in the first book. Voluntarily putting June in the Republic's custody creates a great deal of tension and suspense, while Day's time with the Patriots shares information about the overall picture of the war with the Colonies. A history of the fall of the United States is included, and the Colonies becoming a bigger part of the plot and action. An interesting development concerns Tess, Day's closest friend and companion from the first book. While Day views her as a sister, Tess's feelings for Day go beyond that. This creates more pressure on Day's emotions, since it appeared Day and June were becoming a couple. The author includes clues opening the possibility of future complications, and it seems the assassination plot is shaky from the start. Conspiracies are revealed, loyalties change, good becomes bad, and evil becomes caring. I enjoyed this book better than the first one, so I recommend you give it a shot. This book is part two of a trilogy, with Champion bringing it to a conclusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.