Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Kevin Martinez and the Crimson Knights #2: Rise of the Whiteface Order by Mike A. Torres

My friends and I are certain Raven has sent evil, white-faced creatures to Whitefield. They're attacking different boys named Kevin, and it's clear they're searching for me. We're not sure how they were able to leave Derathiel, since Maviel's Mirror opens the only portal between our worlds. However, we've recently learned that the leaves from a crystal plant might be able to open other portals, and this would be disastrous. We must find answers about Raven and his plans, so it looks like we'll be heading back to Derathiel soon. Before dying, Jey gave me a letter saying I need to seek the fallen god of fire named Brealin, so we'll need to find a guide to locate him. Princess Hayla should be able to offer us assistance, although I know she's fighting to save her kingdom. I have Flameclaw to protect us, but it would be very helpful to find the other weapons of the fallen gods. 

You need to read A Game of Mirrors, to fully understand what's going on in the series. The most entertaining aspect is the characters, and there are quite a few main characters. Kevin is THE main character, but his close friends are equally important. They all contribute in their own ways and create their own dynamics to the group. Kevin has a new crush on Olivia, and his discomfort is understandable for a normal seventh grader. Zander is a local bully, and Kevin does all he can to understand and support him in becoming a better person. The presence of the whitefaced invaders creates tension, as it's clear they'll eventually find the correct Kevin. They have overwhelming powers that include changing people into plant-like warriors. Most of this book takes place on earth with short trips to Derathiel. Two of the boys have weapons of the fallen gods, and I expected each book might have a character matched up with a new one. Didn't happen this time. New questions are raised with the introduction of several new characters including Princess Hayla's father, a woman in black, and a baby. I really enjoy books with knights mixed in with a little magic, and this series perfectly fits the bill. I'm looking forward to reading the third book in the series, but alas, I don't know how long I'll need to wait. Update! The author contacted me and said the third book should be out in the Fall of 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.