Monday, August 16, 2021

The Undertakers #4: Last Siege of Haven by Ty Drago

My name is Jessica, and I couldn't believe the monsters I saw in school today. Will, an Undertaker like my sister Helene, said they were called Corpses, but my principal surprised him. My principal was a Corpse, but he wanted to help us! I'm not sure how we survived all of the Corpses dressed liked cops or the Queens special weapons. Will kept saying the rules had changed, and the Queen was using strategies he'd never seen before. I thought we'd be safe once we reached Haven, but we're not. The Queen now knows where the Undertakers are hiding, and Tom thinks it's only a matter of time before she launches and all-out attack. Will is the Corpses' boogeyman, since he always manages to find a way to defeat them. I hope he has one more miracle left or else we're all doomed. 

Each book in the series has added new characters and problems that made them all unique. I've admired the author's willingness to take risks to create highly unexpected twists to the plot. The prince took the overall war between the Malum and humans to a different place, as he shared new information that might help the Undertakers. However, the Queen of the Corpses discovered the Undertakers' hideout at the end of the previous book, and she brought relentless killers into the world, determined to slaughter all humans. The Queen enjoyed punishing and destroying her own Malum which helped to showcase the ruthlessness of her species. Will and the Queen have developed a rivalry which personalized the overall conflict. The Malum had never faced opposition like the Undertakers, and Will was always the cause of their defeats. The plot was clearly headed to an "ultimate" showdown, but the book's resolution revealed a situation that will require time travel. I've enjoyed the author's twists throughout the series, but time travel is a huge difference. I don't generally choose time-traveling books, but I still plan to read the sequel, End of the World. Give the series a shot if you're interested in a twist on books with zombies or aliens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.