Sunday, August 1, 2021

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls #3: The Witch's Glass by Holly Grant

My name is Anastasia, and I'll never stop searching for my missing father. My grandfather's tattoo is the key, but no one knows where he is either. However, the Beastly Dreadfuls are helping me find clues, but we're finding ourselves in forbidden territory. My friends and I have found journals in the office of Calixto Swift, the wizard who did the Dastardly Deed that started the Perpetual War. Anything dealing with witches is now forbidden in Nowhere Special, so we'll be in big trouble if anyone discovers we're here, especially my grandmother, the queen. I still don't see myself as the crown princess in Nowhere Special, and I know it makes my aunt angry. The queen is worried the witches will send armies back to reclaim this land, so she wants higher taxes to bolster our own forces. I'm feeling an urgency to find my father, and I'm worried that something huge is going to happen soon. 


It will probably be best if you read the earlier books first, although I hadn't read them in awhile. This book read like an adventure mystery, as the kids snuck around trying to collect clues to find Anastasia's grandfather. The biggest revelations in the story provided information about the dispute between witches and Morfos, the inhabitants of Nowhere Special able to transform into some type of animal. Anastasia had an internal conflict, as she tried to adjust to morphing into a bat. Silver was normally harmful, maybe deadly, to Morfos, so the fact that silver didn't affect her signaled she was significantly different. The expected truth was revealed near the end. The overall conflict was/is the Perpetual War between Morfos and Witches, although the dispute wasn't as clear as it seemed. The queen and some other leaders wanted to raise taxes in order to bolster their defenses, since they expected witches to invade in the near future. Anastasia uncovered some inconsistencies in the history she'd learned in school, so there's sure to be a major revelation soon. This will undoubtedly involve the disappearances of her grandfather and father, and the questions surrounding Calixto Swift. I recommend you give the series a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.