Thursday, August 12, 2021

I Can See Clearly: Rise of a Supernatural Hero by James A. Cusumano

My name is Luc, and it's hard to believe I died. Don't worry, the doctors saved me, but I now have some new abilities that I can't explain. I can tell what's going to happen, my mind can leave my body to explore other places, and I have other powers that scare me. The CIA found out, and they're blackmailing me to do remote spying in China. However, I feel like my handler is holding something back, and I'm not sure I trust her. All of the things happening are confusing and overwhelming, and I wish I could talk to someone who knows what's going on. My best friend Bella thinks a visiting monk may be the one, so I'll give it a shot. I've got to do something before I kill someone.


I received an ARC from a friend, and I discovered it didn't really fit with most of the books I review. It was definitely for young adults, not middle grade. Luc went through a near death experience, an NDE, and emerged with the powers mentioned above. The book went a step further and made him an Avatar, a person put on earth to improve mankind, like Jesus and Buddha. The story continually said it's more about spirituality and philosophy, not religion, and that's how it came across. It was a way of thinking and discovering our inner selves. If that sounds pretty deep, well, it is. My biggest concern with the book was that the pace dragged in the middle pages. The monk's lessons for Luc were very long and detailed, and they were not easily grasped. Even Luc needed breaks! With that being said, the conflict with the CIA guided the overall story and was very compelling. It was clear something else was going on, but what? Personal relationships with Bella and Eric added to the story. Was Bella Luc's best friend or something more? Eric's character underwent a huge transformation following his violent, first appearance. Overall, this was an entertaining book, but it will most appeal to young adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.