Monday, August 23, 2021

The Undertakers #5: End of the World by Ty Drago

My name is Will, and traveling thirty years into the future was surprising and demoralizing. I knew I was jumping in time, but I didn't expect the Corpses to have killed almost all of the humans on earth. My best friend had died for nothing. After awaking in the future, the first person I met was my "little" sister, who was now older than me! Most of the people I knew were now dead, and all of the Undertakers were gone. No one had the Sight anymore, and no one was trained to fight the Corpses. With billions of Corpses walking the earth, and less than a thousand humans still alive, I wondered why I was brought to the future. What difference could a fourteen-year-old kid make? I finally met the new Chief, which was a huge surprise, and he shared Phase 3 of the plan to defeat the Corpses. It seemed crazy and impossible, but I was the key to its success.

This book concludes the series, and I have mixed thoughts. My biggest issue is time-traveling; I'm not usually a big fan. This twist is a huge deviation from the previous four books about Corpses attacking humans on earth. Walking dead is one thing, but time travel is a whole new subtopic in speculative fiction. Previous books hinted at it, but why go full-blown into such a different concept to end the series? With that being said, this book is very interesting and entertaining, if it's accepted as a related, but very different, part of the series. The contrast between past characters and their future selves is compelling, although many of them perished in the Second Corpse War. Helene and Sharyn are there, but they've undergone huge changes. The origins of Sight and Will's dreams are shared, and the plan for Phase 3 is the focus of the last third of the book. The author does a great job of introducing twists, as the plot nears its climax. Another mole arises, and characters are forced to risk their lives. Their fates aren't finally revealed until the book reaches its resolution. It's mostly a happy ending. Overall, I've enjoyed the whole series and highly recommend you give it a shot. You'll need to enjoy monsters and zombie-like creatures, but it's worth your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.