Thursday, August 12, 2021

The Last Shadow Warrior by Sam Subity

My name is Abby, and I've always wanted to become an Aesir like my mom, a special Viking warrior who protects humans from the Grendel. However, my mom died four years ago, and I've never shown any abilities that might make me an Aesir. There hadn't been any Grendel sightings in years, but I'm almost sure I was attacked by one in my home. So, my father was moving us to Minnesota for protection when we were attacked by a huge guy on a motorcycle with no eyes. My dad's now in a coma, and the doctors don't have much hope he'll come out of it. I've got to save him, and I think my two friends and I may have found a way to do it. We've found a journal written by an old botanist, and it seems to have clues that might lead us to a cure for his poisoning. However, the clues may also lead us to our deaths.

I enjoy middle grade books about mythology, and this book was right up my alley. Abby's character struggled through the whole story trying to hold onto hope that she could become an Aesir. Despite the doubt she encountered, she still displayed signs that gave her hope. Abby's friends included a Valkyrie (with a secret), and a non-Viking student. Abby's love for her father was the emotion that kept her going, and her friends added support and humor to the happenings. The Grey Council ruled to disband the Aesirs, but a lot of questions surrounded this decision. It seemed the Grendel still existed, and there was something hidden within Abby's new school. The Grey Council wanted to keep it all quiet, but Abby couldn't abandon her mother's life work. The plot evolved into a mystery of sorts, and the whole story resulted in an exciting adventure that will be continued in a sequel. It's clear the Grendel will continue in the series, and many questions still remain. I recommend you give this book a shot if exciting stories of Norse mythology interest you. I'm looking forward to the next book, although I have no idea what it might be called or when it might be published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.