Saturday, August 7, 2021

Dread Watch by Jared Agard

My name is Caleb, and I must get my hands on the pocket watch hidden in the train museum. Austin says he feels an evil presence lurking in there, but the watch will help with all of my problems. My mom wants me to go see my dad, but I'm afraid. The accident was my fault, and I don't want to deal with the feelings battling within me. Everything will be better if I can just get my hands on the watch. However, I think Lilly has the same feelings, and I've got to stop her from getting to it first. As it turns out, we fought over the watch and grabbed it at the same time. I'm not sure what happened, but we woke up in a dark place surrounded by black water. I think we're inside the watch! We must find a way out of here, but our fear may lead to our deaths. 


I received an ARC from BookSirens. This book told a ghost story with some added twists. The watch was possessed by a spirit that gained strength from the fear of others. Dealing with those fears was at the heart of the story, and it took a six-year-old to teach the characters how to face them. Caleb experienced different feelings regarding his father, and Lilly had her own issues related to her parents. The setting changed when Caleb and Lilly touched the watch and entered the world within. The world was based on fear, and Caleb needed to understand how it all began. What made it "tick"? Everything changed when any of the characters became upset, and things got even worse when they started to feel despair. The author was able to create eeriness and suspense immediately in the prologue, and it was amazing how he maintained that intensity throughout. There weren't many opportunities to stop and catch your breath. The story was told from Caleb's point of view, so readers could experience the character's terror and anger, and his battle to maintain hope. Overall, I enjoyed the book very much as it evoked many emotions. I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened its cover, but it didn't disappoint. I strongly recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.