Friday, September 11, 2020

The Midnight War of Mateo Sanchez by Robin Yardi

The Midnight War of Mateo MartinezMy name is Mateo, and I watched two skunks steal my little sister's trike (which is really mine) in the middle of the night. I knew my parents would never believe that story, but I never thought they'd actually think I could be responsible for the neighborhood thefts. I staked out the yard a couple days later and spotted the skunks again. They could talk! My sister saw them too, so now I have to include her in my quest to catch them. I can't tell my old best friend about them, and I need to avoid the grumpy neighbor down the street. I've got to figure out some way to clear my name and get that trike back.

I'm always amazed at the maturity range in my searches for "middle grade" novels. I recently stopped reading one that was clearly appropriate for high school, while this book is clearly for elementary. The main characters are in fourth grade, and much of the story takes place in the classroom, during lunch, or during recess. Other than the skunks, the problems in the plot might be faced by elementary students. Mateo is dealing with changing friendships, growing up, and a pesky little sister. The trike issue even boils down to a conflict over the playground monkey bars. While not overly concerning to typical middle grade readers, the plot should appeal to intermediate students. Overall, the story will be a fun adventure for readers looking to escape serious, stress-filled books. It may be worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.