Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Tribe #3: The Foretelling of Georgie Spider by Ambelin Kwaymullina

 

My name is Ash, and I'm hopeful for the future of us Illegals. It's possible the Primes will vote to give Exemptions to some Illegals, which might lead to the end of the Accords. The current laws display a distrust of people like me, so some of the Primes want to meet with me as leader of the Tribe. However, I'm sure Terence will find some way to undermine our efforts. I kind of understand his feelings, but he's willing to use rogue Illegals to hurt others. Hurting and killing repulse me, but I'm starting to learn there may be times when these are necessary for survival. I know my survival is essential to the future of my Tribe and other Illegals, but I'd rather give up my life than see someone else harmed because of me. 

You really need to start reading this series from the beginning. Illegals have special abilities, and Ash is able to Sleepwalk. While asleep, she can do almost anything to manipulate her dreams and have them affect the real world. However, she doesn't always understand what's happening in the dreams, much like her friend Georgie. Georgie is able to see the future but gets confused by the many possibilities, to the point where she's not always able to tell when she's back to reality. Georgie's confusing visions and Ash's confusing dreams make the early part of the book a little confusing to read. Also, the main conflict didn't emerge until the book was about a third of the way into the plot. While the specific problem changes with each book, the mistreatment and prejudice against Illegals is the recurring theme. This book also focuses on choices people make and how their decisions can shape the future. The most important lesson is that all living things are connected, and that knowledge is the key to the survival of our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.