Sunday, May 2, 2021

Legend #3: Champion by Marie Lu

My name is Day, and I'll do anything to protect my little brother Eden. The Republic experimented on him and left him almost totally blind, and I won't let that happen again. I don't care if the new Elector thinks my brother can stop a war with the Colonies. I don't trust either country. June is helping in her role as an Elector confidante, but I still don't know how long I'll be able to keep Eden safe. My headaches are getting worse, and the medicines don't help as much as they used to. I may die before I'm well enough to have surgery. It's difficult to admit after the Republic has been responsible for killing my mother and older brother, but I must do all I can to help the new Elector stay in power. I'm realizing the Republic isn't the superpower it's always purported, and the Elector will have trouble quelling unrest in the Senate and holding off the Colonies. I may need to take drastic actions.


You should read all three books in order to fully understand relationships and events. The story is told from the viewpoints of the two main characters, June and Day. June is the Elector's closest and most trusted ally, although she's resented by most of the other leaders. This dynamic creates tension and shows the fragility of the government's power. The most compelling story surrounds Day, as he struggles with serious health problems. He wants to keep the truth secret, but he realizes his own importance to the public's trust in the government. He's stuck supporting people he distrusts, but it beats the alternative of a takeover by the Colonies. The books are most appropriate for young teens, as June and Day explore their physical attraction to each other. The first two books include some heavy kissing, and this book has a moment of sexual experience that is not explicitly described. I wasn't sure how the series would play out, but I appreciate how the author makes it work. I can't say everyone lives happily ever after, but it's satisfying. Give the series a shot if you're looking for a dystopian story with a little romance included.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.