Friday, May 14, 2021

The Nightmare Thief #1 by Nicole Lesperance

My name is Maren, and I miss my sister so much. It's hard seeing her in a coma every day, so I decided to break the rules and give her a dream. It was a nice dream, so how could it hurt? Well, sharing dreams is against the rules, and someone saw me do it. The lady wants me to steal nightmares and will report me if I don't do as she says. I don't know what she plans to do with them, but I can't risk getting banned from my sister and my grandmother's store. I feel so helpless to stop this evil woman, but what else can I do? What is she doing with these terrible dreams?


As you can probably tell, this was one of those stories where the main character knew she did something wrong and then spent the rest of the book trying to hide it. Things would have gone much easier if she'd told the truth or asked for help, but that wouldn't have been any fun. The story had a fresh twist, as the whole book was realistic fiction except that some of the town's residents had magical abilities. For example, Maren's grandmother sold and serviced old typewriters and sold homemade dreams on the side. Maren carried a few dreams and nightmares in her pocket while riding the local bus to the hospital. A subplot involved Maren's relationship with her former best friend Amos that had soured due to a lack of communication. He started hanging with another boy who made fun of others, but Maren was unaware of Amos's positive reason. It took Maren awhile to sort through her feelings and decide if she was willing to forgive him. Overall, this was a nice story of friendship and family. The antagonist created a dark vibe to everything, but it wasn't enough to overcome the support for Maren. Give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.