Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Keeper of the Lost Cities #8.5: Unlocked by Shannon Messenger

So, I finally woke up after my evil mother experimented me. No one really knows exactly what she expected to happen, but I've definitely changed. My empath powers are stronger, I'm apparently a Polyglot too, and I have a new ability that terrifies me. My words now have power, so I'm afraid to say anything else. Sophie's enhancing ability might make it worse, so I can't be near her. That means I also can't tell her how I really feel, which amuses my bodyguard. I can't let my mother manipulate me to use my powers against my friends. I'm not sure I have the strength to stop my power with words from hurting everyone. I'm sure Sophie will do something reckless to fight the Neverseen and my mother, and there's no way she can make things worse. Or is there?


Most of this book was comprised of information the author wanted to share. There were backstories and files for the characters, pictures from Keefe's memories, and a handbook for understanding the series and the Lost Cities. I admit I didn't read much of this part of the book, because there was a novella included near the end that picked up where the last book left off. The author included a message saying she expected many readers to skip the first half, and that's exactly what I did. Funny! Unlike previous books, this one was told through the alternating stories of Sophie and Keefe. Sophie and the gang were still trying to figure out what to do about the Neverseen, but the evil group has always been one step ahead. Sophie decided to act impulsively and may have made things worse. Keefe was terrified to speak, and much of his plot focused on trying to control his new abilities. Everyone had ideas, but Keefe became very introverted and depressed. That's very much out of character. The bodyguards continue to inject humor in the story, especially Ro, Keefe's bodyguard. She enjoys teasing him about his feelings and threatening him when he tries escape her protection. However, Keefe's dramatic changes will affect future events. I really enjoy the concept of the whole series, but it will require a lot of reading if you start. There's an abundance of description which makes the overall plot move very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.