Friday, May 7, 2021

Ultraball #2: Deathstrike by Jeff Chen

My name is Strike, and I can't let anyone discover my secret, not even my teammates. It's affecting my play as quarterback, so it may be a matter of time. My bigger worry is Zuna, as he'll do anything to get more power and money. He's blaming the Dark Siders for stealing his nuclear materials, and he's promoting fear and anger against them. Wraith told me Boom needs my help in a rebellion, but I don't know what she means. There must be something to it, because Zuna has threatened me into revealing Boom's location. He's even hiring thugs to attack my teammates and me. As if there isn't enough pressure on me to win this year's Ultraball championship, our top running back was seriously hurt in the first game of the season. Luckily, Nitro has amazing talent as his replacement, but she reveals more surprises every day. 


Read Lunar Blitz first. While Ultraball is the focus of Deathstrike, the main conflict focuses on Zuna and his desire to rule the moon. Connections can be made to some current politicians, as he promotes fear against a group of people, uses threats and money against others, and creates his own version of the truth by controlling reporters and the news. Strike is told early in the plot that he's the key part of a rebellion, but he has no idea what that means. This mystery and the threat of Deathstrike create anticipation and suspense and continue throughout the book. Strike's team, the Miners, form the main cast of characters, and several of them have their own mini-dramas. TNT is Strike's best friend and is determined to atone for a past breach of trust. Nitro is more reserved but wants to redeem her family name. Ultraball suits only come in one size, and book one described how Strike was getting too big. The problem comes to a head in this book, as he tries to fight the inevitable. This builds more anticipation, tension, and suspense. The plot builds to the Ultraball Championship game, where the good guys and bad guys predictably face off. However, the author saves another twist for the climax and forms the conflict for the book's sequel. Overall, I'm enjoying the overall plot as the underdogs combat the powerful capitalist, and I recommend you give it a shot. Sports is the thread holding everything together, as the characters fight social injustice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.