Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Ember and the Ice Dragons by Heather Fawcett

My name is Ember, and I can't stop myself from catching on fire and destroying things. My only solution is to live with my aunt in Antarctica, since I draw power from the sun like all fire dragons. Other than my aunt, no one here knows what I truly am, and I'm having a hard time pretending to be a student. Why should I do homework if I don't want to? A couple of human children say we're friends, but I'm not sure what that means. I thought it was unfair that Moss was being picked on, so I helped. So what? I have bigger worries on my mind since finding out about the Winterglass Hunt. I must find a way to help the ice dragons without revealing my identity. It never crossed my mind before, but maybe I need the help of others. 

I wasn't overly excited about the first half of the book, but the second half was more engaging. I didn't clearly understand where the story was headed until Ember became more focused on one problem, saving the ice dragons. Lord Norfell seemed to be the main antagonist, as he sensed there was something different about Ember. He had a shady past, was intent on discovering Ember's secret, and was motivated by the money he could make by killing dragons. I was bothered a little by Ember's ability to mask her identity despite having invisible wings. There were a number of situations where other characters must have touched her back, yet they couldn't figure out her secret. Ember's friends, Nisha and Moss, offered her support, although she was reluctant to accept it. Nisha was the intelligent character who could think through situations and come up with plans. Moss was more mysterious, as no one, including himself, knew where he came from. It was clear he'd present surprises later in the book, although the author provided hints along the way. Overall, I enjoyed the book in its entirety and recommend you give it a shot. I could envision a sequel, but I haven't seen any reports that one is in the works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.