Wednesday, November 4, 2020

The Misewa Saga #1: The Barren Grounds by David Robertson

My name is Morgan, and I was feeling protective of the other foster kid named Eli. He was having trouble adjusting to the new school, just like me, and he had weird explanations of his drawings. I mean, he had awesome pictures of strange creatures, but he said they were from his home. I showed him my thinking place up in the attic, and he liked practicing his artwork there. However, I put one of his pictures on the wall, and snow and wind started blowing into the room. The next thing I knew, I was following him into a portal where we discovered we were not the first people to make this journey. Now, Eli and I find ourselves in the middle of a quest to save the animals living in Misewa. We must find the Man who traveled before us in order to return Green Time to these lands.


This book was nominated for a 2020 Cybils Award, and it tells a creative story based on the Misewa culture of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Morgan is a dynamic character, as she transforms her self-centered ways. The feelings of self-preservation and remaining isolated aren't unique for a foster child from unpleasant prior homes. She just wants to belong and be part of a family, but it's hard to care for others when you might soon be leaving. She takes Eli under her wing, but he has clear memories and feelings about the native culture. Language, food, and other aspects of the Misewa culture are included in the story, as Morgan slowly learns about her heritage. The underlying conflict is Man vs. Nature. All of the animal characters view humans as bad, since a human left them in perpetual winter. Humans are gluttonous and always take more than they need, and nature pays the price. The whole plot reads like a folktale with a bit of reality mixed in. Overall, I can recommend this book if you're interested in learning about a Canadian native tribe. The relationship between Morgan and Eli is heart-warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.