Monday, November 16, 2020

Dragon Keeper's Chronicles #3: Dragonknight by Donita K. Paul

My name is Bardon, and I've decided to help three women free a father, a son, once captured by Risto. Even though the evil wizard is gone, the man and other knights are still under Risto's spell. His death means the spell can't be renewed this year which could lead to their deaths. I wonder if Kale's father could be one of them. I've had to put my sabbatical on hold, and Greer makes fun of my ragtag team. The dragon is my loyal companion, and he's saved my life on many occasions. I don't understand why Wulder thinks I should lead this quest, but I trust that He knows best. I don't know if He could have predicted where our adventure would go. Did He know that we'd face the Pretender or that so many lives would be changed?

This book differs from the previous two books mostly with its cast of characters. Bardon is accompanied by three females; a mother, her daughter, and a protector. The tiny protector is a rare creature and is the most interesting character. She spends much of her time inside a basket carried by the young girl. References are made to Kale, her dragons, and the wizards previously seen in the series, but they aren't directly involved in this book until the last third of the plot. Three years have passed since the previous book, so even familiar characters have changed. Bardon is the focus of the plot, and he's an uncomfortable leader. He was supposed to take a year off to decide if he wanted to devote his life to Paladin but finds himself thrust into this adventure. All of the books in the series have a religious focus to them, as the characters follow the guidance of their god, Wulder. There are doubters, just like in real life, and this book is preachier than the others. It's not a problem for me, but it has bothered some other readers in the previous books. Overall, I'm still enjoying the series and foresee a showdown with the Pretender fast approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.