Tuesday, November 24, 2020

A Tale of Magic #1 by Chris Colfer

My name is Brystal, and I never understood why girls were forbidden to read and were raised to become subservient wives and mothers. I knew it was dangerous to privately read the books my brother gave me, since my father was one of the most powerful Justices in the Southern Kingdom. I could serve life in prison or even be executed if I'd been discovered. Luckily, I was able to secretly get a job at the library where I read everything I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me. I knew I shouldn't read the books in the hidden room, but wouldn't you want to learn what was in the banned texts? I never imagined I'd discover my magical ability or that I'd be moments from my death. I'm thankful Madame Weatherberry rescued me, but I suspect it will be a bigger adventure than I could ever dream.

I've enjoyed other Chris Colfer books and quickly added this one to my must-read list. The major no-nos in the plot focus on banning magic and discouraging women thinking. The author shares an interesting view of magic. Magic is not inherently bad, and fairies use it to help others. However, witches use it for bad reasons, so that's considered witchcraft, not magic. This distinction is the key to Madame Weatherberry's efforts to make magic acceptable to humans. The whole story has a positive air to it, as acceptance and kindness are promoted to combat anger and prejudice. The students are taught that they must see value in themselves before they can ask others to appreciate them. We all have internal battles of right and wrong, and we must constantly remember the positive goals that motivate us. The misfit cast of characters is engaging, and Brystal's specialty is unknown for most of the plot, unlike the others. The one thing that bugs my brain a little is how easily the students learn magic, although Brystal discovers she has a learning disability. They learn by practice and are celebrated for succeeding in their own ways. Overall, this book is very entertaining and inspiring, and I recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.