Monday, November 23, 2020

Dragon Keeper's Chronicles #4: Dragonfire by Donita K. Paul

My name is Kale, and I wish Bardon was with me on this quest. We have a special connection that would be very helpful, as I try to convince the dragons to help us in the war. My father is a powerful wizard, like me, but I really don't know him very well. He's only recently awakened from Risto's sleep spell, but I still don't understand why he won't help me with some of the spells. I must trust that it's all part of Wulder's plans and that He knows everything I do not. However, how is losing my talent part of his plan? How can it help us battle Pretender, his evil wizards, and all the vicious, abominable monsters he's released into the world? I hope my husband is faring better with his own quest, although I sense he's having problems too. Wulder, please watch over Bardon and keep him safe until we're together again.

The third and fourth books could probably be read separately from the first two, since there were major changes at the beginning of both. I wouldn't recommend this, since you'd miss the characters' backstories. The series began with Kale learning to handle her role as a Dragon Keeper, but the start of book three skipped three years and presented her as a trained wizard. Book four skipped more time and revealed Bardon and Kale were now husband and wife. I didn't like how the author skipped these huge changes to the characters in the plots. These momentous events just happened and should have made exciting stories themselves. The book was still enjoyable and included the six brave and amusing minor dragons. Their different abilities (healing, light, morale) meshed effectively, and Kale added several more unhatched eggs to her cape. The battles resulted in deaths, including several that were especially devastating to Kale. Overall, I've enjoyed the series and recommend you give it a shot. It has a strong religious focus, as most of the characters pray to Wulder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.