Friday, November 13, 2020

In the Red by Christopher Swiedler

My name is Lilith, and I was only trying to help Michael get over his suit anxiety. I didn't expect us to go racing across the surface of Mars with a giant solar flare threatening the planet. I mean, Michael just wanted to show his dad that he's not helpless, but now we find ourselves stranded with no help in sight. No one even knows we left the city. Michael is the smartest kid I know, so I'm thankful that I'm stuck out here with him. However, being lost on Mars is very dangerous. We could run out of air, die from the cold, or slowly lose our lives from radiation poisoning. The solar flares make travel during the day impossible, and the icy glaciers make the land unpredictable. I hope Michael can find a way to save us, even if he can't figure out that I have a crush on him.

Having anxiety and panic attacks as major factors in the plot are pretty unusual in books. Michael's efforts to control his attacks create the conflict and tension that drive the story. Lilith only wants to help, but her suggestions unintentionally make things worse. Michael is oblivious to Lilith's feelings toward him, and it's fun to see how she teases him about normal middle grade emotions. The author uses science and math as foundations to explain life on Mars, how humans are able to survive, and how Michael can quickly come up with solutions to problems. You won't like this book if you don't like those two school subjects. I enjoy how the plot moves steadily and how the author constantly tosses in new twists to complicate matters. Just when the characters feel like they may be out of danger, a quake, radiation, or damaged materials reminds that death may be imminent. Overall, lovers of space travel and adventure should enjoy this book. I recommend you give this nominee for a 2020 Cybils Award a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.