Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Valiant by Sarah McGuire

ValiantMy name is Saville, and my father's illness has forced me to become the tailor for all of Reggen. I've succeeded in concealing my identity as a girl in order to get the king's business. Terrifying stories have been spreading about giants destroying towns and villages, and they're headed toward our city. Wow, I never thought I'd consider this place my home. However, I decided to help a young boy living on the streets, and he quickly discovered my secret. We've come to an agreement, and I've grown fond of him. However, his curiosity has now gotten him into serious trouble, and no one else in the town is willing to help. If I'm successful, the king will probably want me to marry the princess, but I could never imagine that my decision would put the kingdom in peril.

Saville was the protagonist, and her time as a "boy" created political and emotional issues. The citizens would never accept a female champion, and budding feelings for an ally complicated matters. The young boy mentioned above, named Will, was an amusing distraction to the main plot. Saville became a surrogate mother to him, and he became her loyal companion. He used his role as a child to move unnoticed around adults and to collect information for Saville. An evil duke and his army of giants presented the major conflict, and Saville found herself cast into a key role to save the castle. Her observation skills and empathy for the "enemy" were invaluable. She was able to encourage and facilitate the transformation of several characters. Overall, this was a very entertaining book, and I recommend you give it a shot. I kind of wish it had a sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.