Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Emily Windsnap #1: The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler

The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)My name is Emily, and no one knows I'm a mermaid. I only found out when my phys ed class went swimming, but luckily my legs came back when I left the pool. Please keep my secret, or everyone will start calling me a freak. My father left my mother and me when I was a baby, and my mom never talks about him. It's strange that my mom's afraid of the water, but we live on a houseboat by the ocean. Anyhow, I snuck into the water one night and swam farther than I have before. I rested atop some a rock formation and found Shoana on the other side. Shoana is a full mermaid and can't walk on land. She told me Neptune is their king, and he gets irate when mermaids or mermen interact with humans. I'd love for Shoana to become my best friend, but it may be dangerously deadly if Neptune ever finds out. 

I read the seventh book in the series before I actually knew there was a series! I figured it might be worth my time to read the first one. Stories about mermaids are unique unless you're watching a Disney movie. Much of the setting takes place underwater. Emily fears her secret might open her up to ridicule which is a feeling that will resonate with middle grade readers. Many students will go to great lengths to not stand out or seem different. Emily's driving motivation is to find her father. She doesn't understand why her mother never talks about him, but she later learns there's a very good reason. Kids want to know how they fit in, and children with a missing parent will often want the family reunited. That sometimes works, but it's a risky proposition. Readers should start having strong suspicions about where the plot is headed, and you'll probably be correct. Overall, this is a nice book that will appeal to lovers of sympathetic, determined female antagonists. Give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.