Monday, August 17, 2020

The Coin Slot Chronicles #1:Arcade and the Triple T Token by Rashad Jennings

Arcade and the Triple T Token (The Coin Slot Chronicles #1)My name is Arcade Livingston, and my life changed when an old lady gave me a necklace with a magical token. I don't know how it works, and I can't predict when it will start burning, but it always transports my sister Zoe and I on new adventures. My first trip sent me right into the middle of a bronco bull rodeo! The token has allowed me to help my friends choose careers for our school project, but I wish it would give me some ideas. I don't know what I'm good at, and I can't decide what I want to do. I'm also distracted by a mysterious man who's saying the token belongs to him. I'm a little scared, because he knows my name and I don't know what he might do. My parents will never believe me, although I suspect my mom might be able to help.

The early part of the book left me a little confused, as I couldn't figure out when or why the token transported Arcade and Zoe. The characters and I learned to accept the unpredictable nature of the token and enjoyed the ride. The minor characters in Arcade's group each had a moment of surprise before fully embracing the token's powers. That surprised me a bit. The book never fully explained how the token worked. Did the kids travel into the future? Did their experiences actually happen? The veterinary trip seemed to have occurred but what about the pit crew? It was cool that Zoe wanted to protect Arcade and didn't want him traveling alone. The parents were busy with their careers, but the father managed to write daily, motivational notes to the kids. The parents were prepared to drop everything if Arcade needed them. That was an inspiring portrayal of a modern family unit. Overall, this was a fun story, and I recommend you give it a shot. The story's resolution presented some questions, so I've already reserved the sequel from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.