Sunday, August 11, 2019

Jerry the Squirrel: Volume One by Shawn P. B. Robinson

Jerry the Squirrel: Volume OneMy name is Jerry, and I like to invent things. I'm actually pretty good at it, although my inventions don't always work exactly as I planned. I had a great idea once and created warm slippers that would listen to my commands and take me wherever I wanted. Unfortunately, the slippers got minds of their own and caused quite a disturbance with all the other squirrels. Another time, I invented a machine to pick nuts out of the trees. All of the other squirrels were very excited and thankful that I'd be saving them from their annual Fall work. However, the machine went a little haywire and had all of the squirrels running for their lives. All I want is for the other squirrels to like me, and I'm sure one of my creations will help. Someday.

I read this as an eBook from Net Galley. It's a collection of stories based on bedtime tales the author told to his children, and that's what you should expect. You won't find a novel with a compelling conflict that's full of action. Jerry usually wants to make life easier for himself and the other squirrels, but his inventions always go awry. In a couple of the stories, the inventions seem to develop minds of their own and revolt. The result of all the events is a humorous book that develops wacky images of a community of squirrels. Simple problems and inventive solutions result in squirrelly chaos. Uncontrollable slippers and an out-of-control nut collector are only two of Jerry's inventions. Overall, this book should appeal to mid-elementary readers, and they should not be disappointed. Readers enjoying this book will be able move on to Jerry the Squirrel: Volume Two or Jerry the Squirrel: The Novel. Give them a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.