Thursday, May 23, 2019

Impostors #1 by Scott Westerfeld

Impostors (Impostors, #1)My name is Frey, and the public doesn't know I've been training for years to stop assassins from killing my twin sister. I'm confined to hidden rooms and hallways until I secretly take her place in potentially dangerous public appearances around Shreve. My father is a ruthless man and is distrusted by all the other leaders. For that reason, he's sent me to Victoria as a hostage to guarantee he'll abide by the terms of an alliance. I don't have Rafi's social graces, but I'm excited to finally have an opportunity to leave my secluded life. Col, the leader's eldest son, has been a gracious tour guide, but the fact remains I'm a prisoner. However, I've learned my father plans to do something I never believed possible, and Rafi has sent me an urgent message saying I have two minutes to escape.

This book should be read by more mature readers due to some content and situations. Nothing bad, just mature. It has the same setting as the Uglies series, although it's many years later. It's not necessary for you to read that series, but it will help you understand some references. I've read other books where a parent was evil, but Frey's father actually becomes the enemy. If someone opposes him, his history is to respond in a more devastating way. Frey's actions might make him question her loyalty, so that uncertainty remains a constant conflict throughout the book. In addition, Frey and Rafi are separated for much of the plot, and Frey is determined to rescue her sister from her father. However, this motivation is repeated so often that I found myself wondering if it might be the source of a potential twist. Has Rafi changed due to Frey's absence? You'll need to read the book to find out. If you liked Uglies, you'll like this book. There are references to Pretty surgeries, some characters are Specials, and hoverboards are still used for transportation. Overall, Impostors is an entertaining adventure, and lovers of dystopian wars should enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.