Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Mad Wolf's Daughter #2: The Hunt for the Mad Wolf's Daughter by Diane Magras

The Hunt for the Mad Wolf's Daughter (Mad Wolf's Daughter #2)My name is Drest, and I've been declared a wolf's head, a reward of thirty pieces of silver for my death. Sir Oswyn has told everyone I killed his nephew, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm the one who thwarted Oswyn's attempt to murder Emerick, and now the lad is my dearest friend. Oswyn sees me as his biggest enemy, so Emerick and I must move carefully in order to avoid those who'd wish us dead. However, we must also find a way to return Emerick to his rightful place as the lord of Faintree Castle. My father has a reputation as a kind, but ruthless, man, and he wants me to remain hidden and under his protection. I've my own legend spreading across the lands, and I'll find a way to help Emerick stop his uncle's treacherous plans, or die trying.

I recommend you read The Mad Wolf's Daughter first. Although the book includes a witch, the most fantasy-like thing for me is when Drest hears her family's voices in her mind. They talk her through situations and provide advice, although she doesn't always listen. Drest's character is the most interesting, as she is the only girl in Grimbol's family of marauding men. Grimbol has a reputation for protecting villagers but viciously destroying anyone he deems disloyal or an enemy. This book sees Drest acting independently of her father's wishes, since she's not the defenseless young girl he imagines. She's learned many fighting techniques from her large brothers and has used them on any unsuspecting foes ever since the first book. Emerick is injured during most of this story, so Drest spends most of her time protecting him. The fact that any man, woman, or child might slay her for the bounty on her head adds unpredictability to any interactions with other characters. Grimbol's temper and over-protection create uncertainty as to what his character is capable of doing. Overall, I'm enjoying the series and wonder what the sequel will be about; I assume it will have something to do with Drest's mother. You'll like this book if you enjoy stories of adventure and independent girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.