Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Ronan Boyle #1: Ronan Boyle and the Bridge of Riddles by Thomas Lennon

Ronan Boyle and the Bridge of Riddles (Ronan Boyle #1)My name is Ronan, and I'm determined to prove my imprisoned parents were framed by Lord Desmond Dooley. I've joined the Garda to find evidence that he stole the Bog Man mummy, but it hasn't been all unicorns and leprechauns. Correction... I've seen a lot of leprechauns. Two of them stole hundreds of bottles of wine and took them to Tir Na Nog, so I've been assigned to help Captain de Valera capture the thieves. I'm doing my best to remember my cadet training, but it's hard when leprechauns are musking. I was never great at shillelagh training or Tin Whistle for Beginners, but I did okay with Irish and Faerie Law. I'm glad I have Captain de Valera and Lily the wolfhound with me, because I don't think I'm fully prepared for what lurks in the underworld of Tir Na Nog. 

I guess this book will most appeal to upper middle school readers. Silly humor is the backbone of the entertainment, but it includes some mature inferences and potentially crass descriptions. Weaponized Poetry is a trainee class, they played leprechaun hide and seek, and there are a number of references to different types of body odor. I was a little surprised the other cadets didn't have a bigger role in the story. A couple of them had unique personalities and backgrounds, especially Log, and she may be a more important character in the book's sequel. Ronan, the captain, and Lily were involved in the most significant events of this book. The conflict with the leprechauns and the underlying problem with Dooley were engaging, but silliness is at the forefront of everything. It tested my patience at times, but I enjoyed it overall. Even during the most "serious" moments, the author managed to find ways to maintain a humorous tone. If you're looking for an absurd story of leprechauns and mystery, give this book a shot. I plan to read the sequel when it comes out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.