Saturday, May 25, 2019

Tales From the Chocolate Heart #2: The Girl With the Dragon Heart by Stephanie Burgis

The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)My name is Silke, and I have a special talent for spinning stories. It usually gets me out of sticky situations, but I'm not so sure this time. The crown princess has asked me to spy on the visiting faeries to discover their real reason for visiting. I have no trouble spying, but a wharf rat impersonating a member of the royal court will be a challenge. I once helped the king forge a treaty with the dragons, but some citizens are now suspicious and fearful of them. My best friend Aventurine can now transform into her dragon form when she wants, but her temper may get us into big trouble. She detests faeries, and it would be best if she kept far away from the castle. However, I convinced the princess to allow the Chocolate Heart to cater the desserts, and Aventurine will need to be there. I hope she listens to me and doesn't set foot outside the kitchen. Yeah, right!

You should probably first read the first book in the series, The Dragon With a Chocolate Heart, winner of a 2017 Cybils Award. Chocolate is important to the book and equally important to the kingdom. It's treated like nectar of the gods, and the royals present it like the most important food in the world. I'd love to taste chocolate that good! The plot reads like an adventure mystery, although most of it takes place inside the castle. Silke's impulsiveness makes everything unpredictable. She always has good intentions and strategies, but misspoken words and unwise decisions create numerous problems that make the book entertaining. Her family's past becomes important to her motivations but creates new complications. She spends much of her time trying to curb Aventurine's anger! Silke's storytelling is her strength, as she is able to manipulate her words into magical tales. They captivate listeners and communicate subtle messages. Overall, a book grounded in chocolate and stories may not sound exciting, but I highly recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.