Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Endling #2: The First by Katherine Applegate

The First (Endling #2)My name is Khara, and I'm leading a doomed, pointless quest to help Byx find other dairnes. I'm not sure the expedition is truly futile, but I'm questioning my decisions. Sure, we've evaded Murdano's soldiers and survived an attack by one of his assassins, but traveling to Dreyland may be even more dangerous. The ruler here is more vicious than Murdano, as his forces prepare to invade Nedarra. I almost lost all hope when we were buried, destined to suffer slow, painful deaths. Byx and Tobble are heroes, and we've found the floating island. However, I've not told the others about my dream. I must return home and do everything within my power to protect the lands of Nedarra.

You should read the Endling: The Last before reading this one. Byx was the main character, as he was the one everyone else rallied around. He was not the leader and even feared that role. Dairnes were able to detect lies in all other species, so they were invaluable allies (tools?) to others. Tobble was the most endearing character due to his small status, and all other species underestimated him. He was loyal to Byx and was the one character willing to ask the hard questions. He cared about all creatures and believed in the humane treatment of all. He expressed concern when Khara's plans conflicted with those views. The author saved some secrets about Khara that were revealed in the book. It's been clear since the beginning that she hasn't been totally open, but her past came to the forefront later in the plot. The group dynamics of the strange band of characters was the highlight of the book. Blending humans with timid creatures and a predator resulted in colorful, intriguing interactions. Overall, this is a great series, and I can highly recommend you give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.