Sunday, July 5, 2020

Worldquake #3: Galloglass by Scarlett Thomas

GalloglassMy name is Effie, and I used to love visiting my cousins in the Otherworld. I was even excited to go with Clothilde to get my kharakter analysis, but I never dreamed I'd be labeled a selfish, self-centered galloglass. I've now been banished from the Otherworld! I don't know what to do, but it now looks like the Diberi are behind everything. I can't understand why I always feel so tired. My M-currency seems to run out too quickly, so I've stopped wearing my Heroes ring. I'm sure the Diberi have plans to kill me or something, but I'm not sure why I'm always the focus of their attention. The current situation concerns the separation of the Real World and the Otherworld, and I can be certain the Diberi's plans will be bad for everyone.

I enjoyed this book more than book two, and it may have been because the antagonists were more clear-cut. The main plot followed Effie, and she finally figured out what made her so special. Her character was forced to become more dynamic when she seemed to lose support in the Otherworld. She needed to follow her instincts and trust herself in order to open up new possibilities. The author touched on some other societal issues with child abuse being the most disturbing and realistic. One of Effie's friends was being coerced into doing things that made her uncomfortable, and she was afraid to seek help. The abuser was an honored guest in the house, and the young girl was afraid others wouldn't believe any accusations. The book's resolution included a direct plea to victims instructing them to seek help from a trusted adult. It feels like the series could end after this book, but I'm not sure if the author has a sequel in the works. I've enjoyed the series very much, and I recommend you give it a shot. The first book is entitled Dragon's Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.