Friday, July 31, 2020

The Sisters Grimm #2: The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

The Unusual SuspectsMy name is Sabrina, and my sister Daphne and I finally had to start attending our new school. Daphne loved getting Snow White for her teacher, but my first day was awful. The only "highlight" was getting to punch the class bully right in the eye. Later, after school, my sister and I found one of my teacher's dead, hanging from his classroom ceiling in a cocoon. We were then surprised when Prince Charming deputized us to help our grandma solve the crime. Most Everafters hate humans, especially my family, since my ancestors trapped them in this village forever. We now know there's something dangerous happening right under the school building!

This book is the second one in the series, and the number of reserves in the library system reflect its popularity. What do I like about this title? Most of the characters come from fairy tales, so readers already know a bit about their backstories. Puck adds much humor to the story, as he's a reluctant hero. He's proud of the mischief he causes and refuses to take any credit when he comes to the rescue. It will ruin his reputation. Prince Charming is a pain in the butt, but Snow White tempers his behavior. Each book has a different mystery, the one in this book deals with the murder(s), but Sabrina's effort to save her parents is a continuing thread throughout all of the books. Mr. Canis (The Big Bad Wolf) is an intriguing character, as he struggles to control his two personalities. He's usually a kind companion living with Grandma, but anger brings him to the brink of becoming big and bad again. Overall, this book and the rest of the series will appeal to lovers of fairy tales, and I've already started the third book. I recommend you give them a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.