Monday, July 27, 2020

Brendan Buckley's Sixth Grade Experiment by Sundee T. Frazier

Brendan Buckley's Sixth-Grade ExperimentMy name is Brendan, and I love science. The start of sixth grade would be much easier if my friends and father had the same interests. However, Morgan is a new girl, and she loves rocks and science as much as me. Both of her parents are even scientists! The big complication is that everyone else thinks she's my girlfriend. Is she? We've been partnered to create a project in a national science competition, and I'm surprised she likes my idea. Would you be excited about studying fresh cow manure? My dad's not. He doesn't understand why this is important to me, and I think he wants me to be tougher. I'll never be a sports jock, but does that make me a science nerd?

First off, it will be hard for you to enjoy this book if you don't appreciate science. Although the story isn't confusing, Brendan's character is complex. He has a whole lot going on. He's biracial, and his grandmother makes sure he celebrates his African-
American heritage. The relationship with his father is obviously an issue, and living up to parent expectations is a common problem for young readers. Emerging interests in girls is another everyday phase of growing up, and Morgan presents that situation. Tension with his best friend grows throughout the plot, and his parents are thinking about adopting a baby sister. Brendan's love for science is the one thing that keeps him going. A cool twist to the story is the significant presence of his two widowed grandparents and how Brendan still misses the one who died recently. Brendan has many things to deal with, and they're all easily relatable to middle grade students. Overall, this book is a fun read, but as I said earlier, you must have a strong appreciation for science. If you're that kind of person, you'll really enjoy this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.