Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Shadow School #1: Archimancy by J.A. White

Archimancy (Shadow School, #1)My name is Cordelia, and I was angry when my parents made us move away from all my friends in California to a small town in New Hampshire. My new school looked like a huge old house, and it was easy to get lost walking through the hallways. I was thankful for Agnes, as she helped me navigate the school. However, she wasn't able to help me with everything. I was alarmed to find a small boy crying under the gym bleachers, but I soon discovered no one else could see him. That is, until I noticed Benji. He was able to see the boy and made me aware of many other ghosts in the school. He wanted to stay far away from the ghosts, but I think I've figured out a way to get rid of them. However, we've also made something else at Shadow House very angry.

This is a story involving ghosts, but it's scary-level is low. It has more of a compassionate feeling with the kids trying to help ghosts move on to a more restful place. The characters mentioned above form the group of three protagonists, although Agnes can't see the ghosts. She's the smartest of them, but Cordelia must be careful not to inadvertently make her friend feel left out. Cordelia is a dynamic character, as she transforms into a more mature person. She lived a superficial life in California, but the ghosts now give her life some focus and direction. The setting of an old house becoming a school sets up possibilities, but that's only the beginning. The house's history provides hidden secrets. The antagonist/antagonists aren't clear which adds to the tension in the conflict. Who/what wants the kids to stop helping the ghosts, and why? Overall, this was an entertaining book, and I recommend you give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.