Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Fairy Tale Reform School #2: Charmed by Jen Calonita

Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)My name is Maxine, and I thought Gilly was my best friend in the world. Most people don't treat ogres very well, but she was always nice to me. Until she joined Royal Ladies in Waiting club. Gilly started saying mean things about me and never had time for our group of friends. She became more selfish and only wanted glory for herself. I couldn't tell her about the new secret messages I'd been getting, and it's clear Alva is gaining new followers to overthrow the Royals. We stopped the evil witch once before, but that's when we worked together as a team. There's a mole at the FTRS helping Alva recruit students, and we don't know who we can trust.

I've read the first and third books in the series, so I figured it was time to read the second one. There were many references to familiar fairy tales which added to the amusement of the book. There was a magic mirror named Miri monitoring student behavior, magic carpets and pegasi transported characters around, and the kingdom was run by princesses including Rapunzel and Cinderella. The inclusion of a mole added a twist to the plot to keep readers guessing. However, the mole's identity seemed fairly obvious to me and should be identifiable to most readers. The story presented a common theme, as Gilly learned to be humble and to appreciate being part of a team. Jocelyn had been an antagonist and a thorn in Gilly's side, but Gilly discovered she may have misjudged the girl, a little. Overall, this is fun series to read if you're into twisted fairy tales, and I recommend you give it a shot. I guess it's time for me to move on to the fourth book called Switched.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.